Tuesday, August 12, 2008

6 Verses to Show the Meaning of the Hebrew Word for Mercy

The hebrew word kheh'-sed is often translated as mercy in the King James Version of the Bible. For example in Psalm 23:

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORDH for ever. (Psalm 23:6)

But what does it mean?

Here are 6 verse which will you give you a feel for the meaning of the word:

Behold, your servant has found favor in your sight, and you have shown me great kindness in saving my life. But I cannot escape to the hills, lest the disaster overtake me and I die. (Gen 19:19 - ESV)

And Jehovah is with Joseph, and stretcheth out kindness unto him, and putteth his grace in the eyes of the chief of the round-house; (Gen 39:21 - YLT)

'The LORD is slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love, forgiving iniquity and transgression, but he will by no means clear the guilty, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, to the third and the fourth generation.' (Num 14:18 - ESV)

I want your constant love, not your animal sacrifices. I would rather have my people know me than burn offerings to me. (Hos 6:6 - GNB)

And the spies saw a man coming out of the city, and they said to him, "Please show us the way into the city, and we will deal kindly with you." (Jdg 1:24 - ESV)

Solomon answered, "You always showed great love for my father David,your servant, and he was good, loyal, and honest in his relation with you. And you have continued to show him your great and constant love by giving him a son who today rules in his place. (1Ki 3:6 - GNB)

No comments: